IFCO RPCs reduce costs in retail supply chains by nearly $1.00 per case
10% Producer cost reduction
- Faster and more efficient cooling
- Lower damage rate to DC
- Easy storage and assembly
32%-226% Faster handling in DC
- Stable pallet
- No extra packaging required
- Easy stacking
5%-53% Faster handling in store
- Ergonomic handling
- Rigid construction
- Easy picking
98% Less packaging related damage
- Secure stacking makes stable pallet
- Efficient space utilization
- Unaffected by moisture
IFCO RPCs protect fresh products through the supply chain
IFCO RPCs provide optimal protection for fresh products. Their rigid construction and ventilated sidewalls ensure minimal damage and optimal airflow through the supply chain, providing the highest quality product in store. Damage reduction has been documented in a comprehensive study performed by SIM, click here to view the study and results.
- Improves product quality and shelf life
- Faster cooling
- Better temperature control during transport
- Helps maintain proper temperature at central warehouse
- Fresher product in store
- Interlocking design
- Builds a stable pallet
- Ergonomic handling for easier stacking
- Less packing material required
- Pallet stability not affected by moisture
- Optimal design for fresh products
- Sturdy construction provides strong foundation through the supply chain
- Secure corner latches provide stability
- Weight of pallet supported by RPC, not product inside
Reducing waste, emissions and water use with IFCO RPCs
Less waste out, fewer natural resources in: how switching to IFCO RPCs reduces your supply chain’s impact on the environment.
Producing up to 60% less CO2
IFCO RPCs are reusable and fully recyclable
Using 64% less energy
IFCO RPCs fold when empty, using less truck space and saving fuel
Reducing waste to landfill
IFCO RPCs cut solid waste by 86%
Using 80% less water
Water-recycling technology helps us use less water than single-use packaging systems
* Fraunhofer IBP study, Carbon Footprint of Food packaging, Commissioned by Stiftung Initiative Mehrweg (SIM) Feb 2018; The Sustainability of Packaging Systems for Fruit and Vegetable Transport in Europe based on Life-Cycle-Analysis, Update 2009", published in February 2009 by Stiftung Initiative Mehrweg; Franklin Associates, 2017,“Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of RPCs and display and non-display ready corrugated containers used for fresh produce applications”
Cutting waste through collaboration
IFCO RPCs are an important part of leading grocery retailers’ sustainability programs. For example, US retailer Kroger has calculated that its total use of RPCs in 2015 eliminated the use of more than 73,500 tons of waxed and corrugated boxes.
Fresh Market Advantage™ RPC merchandising solutions
IFCO has developed innovative RPC merchandising solutions that provide retailers and growers with the Fresh Market Advantage™. These solutions successfully combine the right RPC design, efficient supply chain logistics, and impactful retail merchandising support to engage shoppers and boost produce sales. Please click here for further information.
A study conducted in December 2012 asked US grocery shoppers about their preferences between produce displayed in RPCs and the same produce in cardboard boxes. The study found that shoppers perceive produce displayed in RPCs to be fresher, higher quality. 76% say RPC displays are more attractive, 60% think produce displayed in RPCs appears fresher (25% - no difference), 61% think produce displayed in RPCs appears of higher quality (27% - no difference), 51% said they would pay more for produce displayed in RPCs (39% - no difference), 68% said they would prefer to shop RPC displays (18% had no preference).
When asked "Why do you prefer [your preferred] display?", respondents who preferred RPC displays frequently mentioned the display container specifically as the reason for their preference, while respondents who preferred corrugated displays only rarely cited the boxes themselves as the reason for their preference. The most frequent adjectives used to describe the RPC displays and produce in them were variations of: clean, organized, neat, and fresh.
IFCO RPCs improve ergonomics and speed handling
- Fast assembly and packing
- Standardized footprint allows for process consistency
- Ergonomic handles and design promote easy stacking
- Less handling required to secure pallet
- Rigid construction and ergonomics make loading easy
- Handles promote safe and fast selection
- Interlocking design promotes easy stacking
- Standardized footprint promotes consistent handling of different items
- Increased product protection means less handling required for mixed pallets
- Secure stacking builds a more stable pallet
- Faster merchandising and replenishment
- Handles promote easier handling of heavy items
- Interlocking design promotes easy stacking
- No box cutters required
- Easy to fold and stack, no baling required
IFCO RPCs support food safety
The IFCO SmartCycle™ RPC cleaning process and Diversey™ guarantee
Through the IFCO SmartCycle RPC cleaning process, our RPCs are washed according to the highest standards in the RPC industry and in accordance with our HACCP plan. IFCO's service centres are equipped with state-of-the-art cleaning and drying equipment developed in close collaboration with our suppliers to ensure the most efficient and effective cleaning and drying processes for our RPCs.
All IFCO service centers use Diversey™ detergents and disinfectants, who ensures the hygiene of all IFCO RPCs washed with Diversey™ detergents and disinfectants through an integral cleaning and sanitation program. Diversey™ has provided IFCO with a guarantee that RPCs properly cleaned and disinfected with Diversey™ agents will have residue levels of all microorganisms, toxic substances, and other impurities compliant with maximum levels established by regulations in the country of operation.
Additionally, the use of RPCs properly cleaned and disinfected with Diversey™ agents will not result in microbial contamination or the transfer of toxic substances or other impurities (e.g. pesticide residues) from the IFCO containers to the products they contain.
The guarantee covers the following:
- Food born pathogenic germs and toxin producing micro-organism
- Listeria monocytogeneses
- Eschericia coli serotypes (STEC, EHEC 0104:H4, O157:H7, 0111:H2)
- Campylobaceter jejuni
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Influenza A virus type H5N1 “bird flu"
- Peppino mosaic virus
- Peppino mosaic potexvirus
- Sigatoka Negra (Mycosphaerella fijiensis)
- Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and their degradation products
- Compounds belonging to different chemical families (triazines, organophosphorous, carbamates, phenylureas, neonicotinoids, etc.)