IFCO RPCs reduce costs in retail supply chains by nearly $1.00 per case
10% Producer cost reduction
- Faster and more efficient cooling
- Lower damage rate to DC
- Easy storage and assembly
32%-226% Faster handling in DC
- Stable pallet
- No extra packaging required
- Easy stacking
5%-53% Faster handling in store
- Ergonomic handling
- Rigid construction
- Easy picking
98% Less packaging related damage
- Secure stacking makes stable pallet
- Efficient space utilization
- Unaffected by moisture
Retailers can approximate their cost savings potential with our calculation tool
The freshIMPACT™ tool allows retailers to calculate the cost impact of RPCs across their fresh produce supply chain using their own data and product set-up. By using this method, it is possible to compare different degrees of standardization via current and potential RPC usage rate scenarios.
IFCO RPCs protect fresh products through the supply chain
IFCO RPCs provide optimal protection for fresh products. Their rigid construction and ventilated sidewalls ensure minimal damage and optimal airflow through the supply chain, providing the highest quality product in store. Damage reduction has been documented in a comprehensive study performed by SIM, click here to view the study and results.
- Improves product quality and shelf life
- Faster cooling
- Better temperature control during transport
- Helps maintain proper temperature at central warehouse
- Fresher product in store
- Interlocking design
- Builds a stable pallet
- Ergonomic handling for easier stacking
- Less packing material required
- Pallet stability not affected by moisture
- Optimal design for fresh products
- Sturdy construction provides strong foundation through the supply chain
- Secure corner latches provide stability
- Weight of pallet supported by RPC, not product inside
RPCs reduce environmental impact
*COMPARATIVE LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT OF REUSABLE PLASTIC CONTAINERS AND DISPLAY-AND NON-DISPLAY-READY CORRUGATED CONTAINERS USED FOR FRESH PRODUCE APPLICATIONS, published in March 2016 by Franklin Associates, A Division of Eastern Research Group (ERG). Click here to read the executive summary.
Fresh Market Advantage™ RPC merchandising solutions
IFCO has developed innovative RPC merchandising solutions that provide retailers and growers with the Fresh Market Advantage™. These solutions successfully combine the right RPC design, efficient supply chain logistics, and impactful retail merchandising support to engage shoppers and boost produce sales. Please click here for further information.
A study conducted in December 2012 asked US grocery shoppers about their preferences between produce displayed in RPCs and the same produce in cardboard boxes. The study found that shoppers perceive produce displayed in RPCs to be fresher, higher quality. 76% say RPC displays are more attractive, 60% think produce displayed in RPCs appears fresher (25% - no difference), 61% think produce displayed in RPCs appears of higher quality (27% - no difference), 51% said they would pay more for produce displayed in RPCs (39% - no difference), 68% said they would prefer to shop RPC displays (18% had no preference).
When asked "Why do you prefer [your preferred] display?", respondents who preferred RPC displays frequently mentioned the display container specifically as the reason for their preference, while respondents who preferred corrugated displays only rarely cited the boxes themselves as the reason for their preference. The most frequent adjectives used to describe the RPC displays and produce in them were variations of: clean, organized, neat, and fresh.
IFCO RPCs improve ergonomics and speed handling
- Fast assembly and packing
- Standardized footprint allows for process consistency
- Ergonomic handles and design promote easy stacking
- Less handling required to secure pallet
- Rigid construction and ergonomics make loading easy
- Handles promote safe and fast selection
- Interlocking design promotes easy stacking
- Standardized footprint promotes consistent handling of different items
- Increased product protection means less handling required for mixed pallets
- Secure stacking builds a more stable pallet
- Faster merchandising and replenishment
- Handles promote easier handling of heavy items
- Interlocking design promotes easy stacking
- No box cutters required
- Easy to fold and stack, no baling required
IFCO RPCs support food safety
The IFCO Wash Cycle RPC cleaning process and Diversey™ guarantee
Through the IFCO Wash Cycle RPC cleaning process, our RPCs are washed according to IFCO’s rigorous global standards and in accordance with the IFCO HACCP program. IFCO's service centers are equipped with specialized equipment to effectively sanitize and dry RPCs. IFCO is proud of its ongoing collaboration with suppliers, academia and field experts to continue to create more efficient and effective technical solutions
All IFCO service centers use Diversey™ detergents and disinfectants from Sealed Air, who ensures the hygiene of all IFCO RPCs washed with Diversey detergents and disinfectants through an integral cleaning and sanitation program. Sealed Air has provided IFCO with a guarantee that RPCs properly cleaned and disinfected with Diversey agents will have residue levels of all microorganisms, toxic substances, and other impurities compliant with maximum levels established by regulations in the country of operation.
Additionally, the use of RPCs properly cleaned and disinfected with Diversey agents will not result in microbial contamination or the transfer of toxic substances or other impurities (e.g. pesticide residues) from the IFCO containers to the products they contain.
The guarantee covers the following:
- Food born pathogenic germs and toxin producing micro-organism
- Lysteria monocytogeneses
- Eschericia coli serotypes (STEC, EHEC 0104:H4, O157:H7, 0111:H2)
- Campylobaceter jejuni
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Influenza A virus type H5N1 “bird flu"
- Peppino mosaic virus
- Peppino mosaic potexvirus
- Sigatoka Negra (Mycosphaerella fijiensis)
- Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and their degradation products
- Compounds belonging to different chemical families (triazines, organophosphorous, carbamates, phenylureas, neonicotinoids, etc.